Wednesday 31 October 2018

One Thing I Like About Myself

So I’m over in Nashville on a songwriting retreat with the incredible Judy Stakee and she asked us to write a blog about one thing we like about ourselves... I read it aloud to the group and got a good reaction so thought I would share it here...

So today, Judy asked us to write down one thing we like about ourselves. I could give a pretty extensive list of the things I don’t like about myself but asked one thing that I do, I’m a little stumped! 
It’s definitely not what I see when I look in the mirror, it’s not the darkness that seems to shadow my life every day, no matter what the hell I try to do. 
I can feel people’s emotions and be empathetic but I don’t know if I like that because sometimes it’s a burden weighing down on my shoulders. I should change my middle name to “the fixer”.
After thinking about it hard, I would say the thing I like most about myself is that I’m not perfect, and I’m ok with that. I’ll never be the most attractive in a room, I’ll never completely silence the voice that tells me I’m not good enough or that I won’t win, never run a marathon in the fastest time or win the worlds smartest person, if that’s even real. 
But in the acceptance of not being perfect, I can see that nobody is. We’re all fractured and a little broken in our own unique way. 
We’re all insecure about our bodies comparing ourselves to the photoshop reality we live in. 
We all have demons and sometimes they are fucking fast at chasing us no matter how far we run.
So I’m gonna try be a little easier on myself and every time I judge myself, I’ll just look to the left, look to the right and smile. 
We all have shit, we all have some kind of burden whether it’s financially, mentally, physical but that’s ok. It’s life. I don’t know how the hell it got so complicated but if you can’t love your “worst” parts, as well as your “best” parts... then what’s the point of being here. 

So instead of what I like about myself, I’d say I love that I’m not perfect and never will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment